One of the most common skin blemishes we treat in our clinic is hyper-pigmentation or dark spots on the face and body. These spots are typically the result of picked acne or other scars which have been exposed to the sun. Sun exposure causes our body to increase melanin (tanning cell) production.
Sometimes hormone changes will also incur excess pigment (Melasma; also known as mask of pregnancy). Other spots include general skin ageing such as Liver Spots, likely to occur particularly over the age of 40.
During a consultation our team will create a custom program of in-clinic Treatments and Home Care tailored to your specific needs.
Treatment Options include Laser, Dermapen, medical skin peels and take home prescription skin care from Z.O Zein Obagi medical. As essential is our treatment programs are home care when treating pigmentation as exposure to the sun results in pigment re-occurring once treated.
We also recommend wearing a SPF 50 with UVB and UVA as a crucial step in your home routine.
Fractional Laser is a treatment option that can help to diminish the appearance of pigmentation and dark spots on your skin. Using wavelengths of heated light, the pigmentation is broken down and the body naturally disposes of it. In addition, natural collagen production is encouraged to regenerate youthful and clear skin. This treatment only lasts around 30 minutes and a topic gel may be applied to the skin for the comfort of the patient.
There is minimal downtime after clear and brilliant laser. The skin can appear slightly red and feel tender right after treatment, but this will subside within 48 hours of treatment.
Dermapen For Pigmentation
Dermapen or micro needling is an advanced procedure that can be used to target pigmentation and trigger the body’s natural healing process. It is a fast and simple treatment and a topical anaesthetic treatment is applied to minimise any discomfort. Patients describe this treatment as a comfortable procedure and each session lasts around 30 minutes.
There is minimal downtime associated with Dermapen treatment. While the skin can appeal slightly red after the procedure, this will subside on its own and within 48 hours of the treatment. Patients will notice a significant different in their skin and visible pigmentation will be diminished.
Medical Skin Peels
Chemical skin peels are a non-invasive treatment that can be used to rejuvenate the appearance of your skin. This works by exfoliating the dead skin away and stimulating natural collagen production to diminish the appearance of pigmentation. There are different intensity of chemical peels and a professional will be able to advise you on what one is best for your skin. There is minimal downtime associated with chemical skin peels and there is also minimal discomfort experienced during the procedure.
Zo Prescription Skincare
Hyperpigmentation is when an area of the skin darkens due to the overproduction of the skin pigment; melanin. Some examples of hyperpigmentation are freckles, sun spots, age spots, under-eye dark circles and melasma. It is relatively common and usually a harmless condition. However, for some, it may be an aesthetic annoyance as it can affect any part of the body including the face, neck and hands.
There are various causes of hyperpigmentation from overexposure to the sun, picking at the skin and certain medications such as antibiotics, hormone treatments, and anti-seizure drugs. Although, for some, it could simply be a hereditary condition.
Dr Zein Obagi has created innovative programmes to improve the appearance of pigmentation on the skin.
ZO® Multi-Therapy Hydroquinone System
- Recommended as a starting point for treating melasma. Ideal for moderate to severe hyperpigmentation, especially melasma.
- Treats severely dry, dull, rough and leathery textured skin to help soften skin and restore a smooth, healthy glow.
- Improves skin with visible sun spots and sun damage.
- Using this system 4-6 weeks before office procedures, and for 12 weeks afterwards will improve and deliver longer lasting results.
- Can use this system to improve the overall quality, health, and appearance of the skin.
ZO® Non-Hydroquinone Hyperpigmentation System
- Ideal for the treatment of skin conditions either when hydroquinone treatment is completed or not advised.
- Can also use this as a healthy maintenance system.
- Use after completing a course of hydroquinone for 4-5 months to prolong results.
- Ideal for when skin bleaching is not desired.
- Treats uneven skin colours and tones.
- Tackles skin texture and provides anti-ageing benefits to restore skin.
For Professional Use Only
- This potent stimulating peel provides longer lasting benefits beyond the temporary superficial improvements seen with ordinary peels.
- Peeling is mild, with minimal downtime.
- Designed for acne, melasma, sun damage, fine lines, texture roughness, large pores and dullness.
- Promotes softer, smoother skin.
ZO® Controlled Depth Peel™
For Professional Use Only
- Used to medically treat various skin conditions including acne, wrinkles, fine lines, skin pigmentation disorders and sun damage.
- Controlled absorption and penetration
- Easily mixed with TCA
- Excellent anti-inflammatory properties